Prescott has a cozy hometown feeling, many unique sights, a lot of history of the Old West and an ideal climate, with many shops and galleries where you can browse.
What can I find and enjoy near Prescott Arizona?
Phippen Western Museum
This museum offers quality Western art, with permanent collections of paintings, sculptures, drawings, photographs and more from the late 19th century forward. Here you will learn the unique history and legends of the American West.
- Location: Phippen Western Museum is located at 4701 Highway 89 North in Prescott. From Grand Canyon’s South Rim, take Highway 64 to Highway 89, head south to Prescott. Once in downtown, continue on Highway 89 past Granite Dells and the museum will be on your right.
- Season/Hours: The museum is open all year except Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm and on Sunday from 1 pm to 4 pm.
- Cost: Adults are $7, students with an ID are $5, children 12 and under are free.
- Phone: (928) 778-1385
Founded by a woman who was intent on saving Arizona’s history, the Sharlot Hall contains an extensive collection of material and artifacts from pioneer days and the Native American past. Also open for the public to enjoy, the separate Library and Archives holds a vast collection of original documents, photographs and rare books.
- Location: Sharlot Hall is located at 415 W. Gurley Street in Prescott. To get there from Grand Canyon, get on Highway 64 south to Interstate 40 West to Arizona Highway 89. Head south to Prescott and the museum is two blocks west of the Courthouse Plaza. The Library & Archives is located at 115 S. McCormick Street.
- Season/Hours: Open all year. Hours from October to April are Monday through Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm and Sunday from noon to 4 pm. From May to September hours are Monday through Saturday from 10 am to 5 pm and Sunday from noon to 4 pm. The Library and Archives is open on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from noon to 4 pm and Saturday from 10 am to 2 pm.
- Cost: Adults are $5 and children under 18 are free.
- Phone: (928) 445-3122
For some American Indian culture and art, the Smoki Museum excels with its paintings, and other artwork displayed in the gallery. You gain an understanding and new respect for indigenous cultures of the Southwest.
- Location: The museum is at 147 North Arizona Avenue in Prescott. Get on Arizona Highway 89 South to East Gurley Street in Prescott, turn right on North Arizona Avenue and arrive at the museum in 0.1 miles.
- Season/Hours: Open all year. Hours are Monday through Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm and on Sunday from 1 pm to 4 pm. Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Also closed the first two weeks of January for cleaning and repair.
- Cost: Adults are $5, seniors are $4, students with a student ID are $3, children under 12 are free.
- Phone: (928) 445-1230
Heritage Park Zoo
This wildlife sanctuary is dedicated to conserving and protecting native and exotic animals. It’s the ideal source of recreation and entertainment for the whole family, with a wide variety of animal life you may see nowhere else.
- Location: The sanctuary is located at 1403 Heritage Park Road in Prescott. From the Grand Canyon, get on Arizona Highway 89 to Prescott, bear right on Willow Creek Road, and turn left on Heritage Park Road. The Heritage Park Zoo is on your right.
- Season/Hours: The zoo is open all year, every day.
- Cost: Adults are $8, seniors (age 65 and over) are $7 and children (3 to 12) are $3.
- Services: Animal adoption opportunities
- Phone: (928) 778-4242
The Spot Children's Museum
For interactive learning, nothing beats The Spot. Self-guided experience is a real thrill for kids, particularly the hands-on science exhibit.
- Location: The Spot is located inside Prescott Gateway Mall at the northwest end. The address is 3250 Gateway Blvd. From Grand Canyon, take Arizona Highway 64 south to I-40 and take exit 146 toward Prescott. Get back on Highway 89 into town. Turn left at Prescott Lakes Parkway, left on Arizona Highway 69 south, right onto Prescott Gateway Blvd. and follow the signs toward Dillard’s (in the mall).
- Season/Hours: The Spot is open on Fridays and Saturdays from 1 pm to 5 pm.
- Cost: All ages are $3 per person.
- Services: Programs and hands-on exhibits