- Enjoy incredible views from Yavapai Observation Station at Yavapai Point
- See if you can spot the suspension bridge over the Colorado River
- Enjoy informative geologic displays
- Join a ranger-led walk to learn more about the Grand Canyon
- Hike from Yavapai Point along the south rim to the Visitor Center
What can I see and do at Yavapai Observation Station?
- Views: Yavapai Point Grand Canyon offers amazing views of the layers and formations of the canyon. From the Observation Station you can see how Grand Canyon was carved from the colorful rock. As you look out from the observation deck through glass windows, you will also be able to read the plaques below each window that describe what you see, including, at one spot, the suspension bridge over the Colorado River.
- Geology Exhibits: Yavapai exhibits provide interesting detail explaining the rock layers and the uplift of the plateau. Models, photographs and interpretive panels are fascinating to all ages, particularly the topographic relief map of the canyon in fine detail.
- Ranger Talks and Walks: Daytime walks and informative talks by park rangers are a great way to learn all about Grand Canyon. Every day you will find these tours taking place and you can join in.
- Hiking: To walk from Grand Canyon Yavapai Point to the Visitor Center is only about 3/4s of a mile, and this easy walk is along a paved path. You can see additional views of the canyon that you may not have experienced otherwise.
Where is Yavapai Observation Station?
The Yavapai Observation Station is on the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park. Once in Grand Canyon Village, continue on the main road and you’ll find it one mile east of Market Plaza.
When is Yavapai Observation Station open?
The Observation Station is open from 8 am to 8 pm daily, although the hours may vary somewhat in winter.
How much does Yavapai Observation Station cost?
Visiting this overlook is free to all Grand Canyon visitors.
Who can I call if I have more questions?
If you have other questions about Yavapai Point or Observation Station, call Grand Canyon’s information phone at (928) 638-7888.